Monday, April 2, 2007

Introducing the Sironko Digital Village project

Youth for Technology Foundation is partnering with the youth of Sironko, Uganda in using ICT as a catalyst to create positive changes in the community.

In 2005, United Nations volunteer Charles Galusha spent some months at the Owerri Digital Village in Nigeria gaining experience and first-hand knowledge of YTF's model of delivering ICT-based benefit to the community.

Now back in Uganda, Charles, in partnership with YTF, is initiating a project to bring together young people in the Sironko district to build a Community Technology Center.

The center will be used as a base for:
  • Training young people in the use of ICT tools.

  • Providing ICT services to the community.

  • Enabling youth to develp a deeper understanding of their community through the use of ICT tools.

  • Empowering youth to affect changes in their community using ICT tools.

A volunteer from the US will travel to Uganda this summer to collaborate with the youth in Sironko.

We will post background information, stories and updates on progress on this blog and we welcome you to share this journey with us.

2 comments:

Owerri Digital Village said...

Stay tuned as our work develops in Sironko and thank you for partnering with YTF in efforts to deliver to developing world communities.

Katy said...

My name is Katy Weprin and I live in Studio City, California. I am a 17 year old senior at Grover Cleveland High School, as well as a Senior Girl Scout in the San Fernando Valley of Southern California. When a girl reaches the level of Scouting that I have, they have the option of earning the Gold Award, which is the highest award given in Girl Scouts. A national award, with national standards, it represents initiative, leadership, creativity, communication skills and the ability to make a significant contribution to the community. For my Gold Award, however, I wanted to reach far beyond my local community to make a difference globally to underserved countries.

I have committed, through my project, "Link'n Kids," to initiate a drive for technological equipment which will aid the Youth for Technology Foundation in Sironko, Uganda. I am partnering with local business leaders and entrepreneurs, and asking them to help by making donations of unneeded technology, particularly notebook-style computer.

So far, I've collected 20 good working and semi-new laptops from a single company. The Sherman Oaks/ Studio City Rotary Club has also shared their generosity with a check of $250. This money will go to the specific needs of the Sironko Digital Village.

Although the Gold Award project will be over in September, "Link'n Kids" will likely continue for some time. I'm excited about what I've accomplished and I wish I could see the shining faces of the children at the Sironko Digital Village.

I'd like to thank Njideka Harry and Sri Arumugam for their devotion and commitment to my project. They've both been there to guide me every step of the way. I couldn't have accomplished what I have without their help.