Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Meet Aloysius

Mazaki Aloysius is one of the core volunteers based at SDV. He is involved with just about every aspect of running SDV, but primarily focuses on managing the training programs and coordinating volunteers and trainees.

He is 25 years old and is a graduate of Makarere University with a degree in Social Sciences.

Aloysius, tell us something about your family.

I am from a family of 6 siblings, and I am the second last born. Most exciting personality in my family is my mum:- she is the reason I’ve achieved some of the things I think I have, for example, education.



Why are you volunteering at SDV?

As a social scientist my profession is about serving people. Working with SDV has given me an opportunity not only to apply my education but a chance to gain experience in the field of Information Technology. Before I completed my first degree, I had always thought of how I was gonna apply what I was studying to benefit somebody out there - SDV is providing an avenue for me to achieve this dream.

What do you think about SDV?

SDV is a reality, I know what it's doing because am practically involved in almost all the programmes. If there is anything that any rural place could crave for in terms of technology, then it should be something similar to this. Within less than two months of its inception, you can already see the impact it has had on the community. I think SDV is a dream come true for a rural place like Buhugu.

What are some of the most enjoyable moments in your life?

Spending time together with rest of my family especially in festive season and spending time with genuine friends.

What kind of music do you like?

Ugandan music and American Rhythm and Blues.

Can you tell us about a challenge you face as a young, educated person in Uganda?

I realize that even after “finishing” school, I still have to depend on my parents (mum) and brothers for so many things (especially financially).

The prospect of furthering my education is not yet confirmed, although pending. Attaining a Masters degree in the field of Information Technology is my dream, as this would help widen my choices.

The job market is flooded with many first degree holders.

But, at the moment, am comfortable volunteering at SDV.

What else can you share about yourself?

I am a jolly person, outgoing, with a good sense of humour, polite but aggressive when things need to get done. My girlfriend says am handsome…ha ha. I believe she is very right.

No comments: