Thursday, October 11, 2007

Meet Rogers

Masiga Geoffrey, known to most of us as Rogers, is another volunteer who has been part of SDV from day one.

An early riser, Rogers jumps out of bed and heads to SDV while some of us are still in the dreamworld - that is if he hasn't already knocked on our doors to wake us up!

He grew up mostly in Buhugu, not far from SDV, and studied Electrical Engineering at Uganda Technical College, Elgon.

Currently, Rogers is in charge of managing SDV and making decisions regarding its daily operation. But, as with most of the core volunteers, his contribution covers just about every aspect of life at SDV, from wiring to teaching.

Rogers, tell us something about yourself.

I'm simple. I like moving. [Laughter.] When I get tired then I'm seated. [Laughter.] I like making friends. I like to analyse problems and make decisions.

You are from Buhugu. What do you like most about this place?

When I talk people listen and take it seriously. I just like that about this community.

Share with us some thoughts on Uganda.

Uganda is a controversial country. [Laughter.] Without working hard and thinking ahead, we cannot get anywhere. There is nothing for free here - you have to work for it.

What are some of the biggest challenges you face living in Uganda?

Poverty and unemployment. I finished the course at the Technical College, yet I'm nowhere.

What hopes do you have for the future?

As a human being, of course I cannot hope for a dark future, but that it may be bright. I have to work hard, but one cannot stand alone. With support from others I hope I will make it.

My family has invested in my education. They should reap the profits out of me - is that not so?

I am now thinking about becoming an IT consultant one day.

What do you think about SDV?

I love coming to SDV. I learn something new everyday. It has made me see what is ahead. It is a foundation and we need to build a strong one. Thank you to all those who have supported it physically and mentally.

What would you like to see people outside of Buhugu do to help SDV?

Please give us courage, encouragement, motivation, support and counsel. The volunteers are working hard, and they need support, especially when things go wrong.

Any comments on your role as an SDV volunteer?

At the moment, I'm working tirelessly. In the future, I hope to help SDV materially.

Tell us about some of your hobbies.

I love music. Ugandan music. Football. As of late, I like learning on the computer. When I wake up, I pray that the current will be there during the day. [Laughter.]

Thank you for all your energy and laughter Rogers. It has made the journey that much lighter and so much more enjoyable.

No comments: