Monday, September 17, 2007

Meet Oliver

An IT consultant, Oliver resigned from his job in London, to work as a VSO volunteer in Uganda, consulting for the Ministry of Local Government on ICT and management issues.

He came to know about SDV through the United Nations Online Volunteers portal, where YTF had published some posts seeking help.

The first meeting we had, at a cafe in Kampala, turned into a conversation that stretched for many hours late into the night. It was a crucial time for SDV as we were pondering some serious choices regarding the future direction. And Oliver's input has been invaluable in helping us navigate these unknown waters.

And as mentioned in earlier posts, SDV was lucky to host Oliver for a number of days recently. There were many more discussions and much syphoning of knowledge. Online volunteer is no longer an appropriate title - rather, we think of him as part of the family.

Oliver, how did you come to be in Uganda?

What? Where am I? Uganda you say? How the deuce did I get here?! This question has a LOOOOONG answer and I'm not sure I fully understand it myself. The short answer is - because I could.

What do you think about your life in Uganda?

Wonderful. Simple. Pure. Relaxed. Happy. Completely different to what I had been led to believe.

What was your experience in Sironko like?

Magical. There was a moment, when I first walked into Sironko Digital Village, when the phrase "Bridge the digital divide" suddenly made sense. Equipment normally used only by those wealthy enough to afford it, was being used by those who must grow their own food. As you read this, under-privileged Ugandans, young and old, are learning valuable skills and knowledge that would otherwise be completely out of reach to such a remote, under-resourced part of our world.

But this says nothing about the commitment and responsibility demonstrated by the community and the volunteers. The passion and dedication with which the volunteers go about their jobs gives me a great deal of hope - not just for SDV, but for all of rural Africa. It felt like Sironko has been ready for a project like this forever. They know, better than anyone, the benefits that SDV is bringing and will do everything possible to keep the systems running and the doors open.

Any critical input for SDV?

Nothing more than petty details that would make me sound like my Dad (the floor is dirty, that table's wonky, what's that chicken doing, who's in charge here?).

I have been involved with many 'Charity' organisations in the year I've been here. What is truly unique about SDV is that it is TOTALLY community driven. The foreigners are not calling the shots, they do what they are asked. Sironko will decide what it wants from SDV and this should be preserved at all costs!

Why do you volunteer?

Because it gives me a chance to go places and experience things that one cannot do any other way.

Care to share any impressions of the SDV volunteers on the ground?

If I were Pope, I would make all the current SDV volunteers Saints. What is happening is nothing short of miraculous. Yet the humility with which they work is staggering and their motivation utterly selfless. I have the highest respect for all of them.

How do you hope to be part of the SDV journey going forward?

I want to help build SDV, using blueprints drawn by the community.

Let's get personal.

Something about yourself - I'm difficult
Your background - Used to take things apart and put them back together
Your experiences - People are the same all over the world.
Your likes - Food
Dislikes - Authority
Things or people who inspire you - Music & legends
Memorable moments in your life - Meeting every one of my best friends

... and my favourite colour is blue ...

Oliver, your words give us much encouragement, and having you as part of the team gives us more confidence when looking to the future. We look forward to seeing you again in Sironko, hopefully soon!

No comments: