Sunday, September 9, 2007

Meet Sam

In our next istallment of the Meet Us series, we would like to introduce you to Sam.

Kisolo Sam is a twenty-two year old SDV volunteer who has been there since the day we received the keys to the building.

He has contributed in every possible way imaginable – from painting, to teaching to helping with planning and decision making regarding SDV and its future.

He is a Developmental Studies major at the Islamic University (all religions welcomed), in the neighbouring Mbale district and has just left us to continue his studies.

"The struggle continues – two more years to go."

Sam, you have lived in Buhugu almost all your life. In fact, your house is just down the path from SDV. What do you like most about this village?

There is a lot of interaction and company from my friends, parents, brothers and sisters. And life is as simple and cheap as it appears.


What do you enjoy doing to pass time?

I like playing and watching soccer and also listening to music. My favourite is country music, hip hop and Ugandan music.

I would also one day like to travel to different parts of the world and find out more.

Why did you choose to volunteer at SDV?

It looked necessary for me to be part of SDV by volunteering because SDV looked a program that had an objective of making the youths realise their potential in a technological world.

So, having been a student at the university and still not knowing much about the computer world, I became the first client of SDV.

And after learning something, I felt like I should also transfer that knowledge to another eager person who is yearning to learn.

What are some of the major challenges you face as a young person from Sironko?

My biggest challenge at the moment is how I will complete my education at the university. Not that I can’t read the books, but the challenge is the financial status, since it is expensive. [Smiles.]

Also, life after school is going to be very hard. The job market is full of many degree holders that are looking for jobs.

So, that is why I have a dream that I may also continue with my studies in IT, having been challenged by those who have prospered in this field.

You will be returning to the university shortly. How will you continue to be part of SDV?

I am studying in Mbale district that has got a lot of access to the whole world through the Internet as compared to Sironko that surely lacks this.

So, I can volunteer by coordinating communication between those at SDV and the volunteers and supporters outside of Uganda.

You are an SDV volunteer, an SDV student and also a community member. What do you think about the future of SDV?

Right form the launch of SDV, the community has had a very positive attitude towards it that it even offered a free building for SDV to carry out its programs.

Consultative meetings have been held over time with the community members to confirm the stand of SDV. An advisory committee has been appointed and all efforts have been put in place to run SDV.

This really shows that SDV will stay for a long time and has a very positive future. I really say thanks to YTF and its coordinators that of all places they chose Sironko.

So, please, whoever is willing, come let us build SDV!

Sam, we wish you all the best in your studies, and we will surely miss you.

No comments: